Sunday, December 22, 2019

A Christmas Wedding


I did my 1st Christmas wedding and other than both my own daughter's, this was my favorite. It was both beautiful and romantic, the bride & groom were fun to work with, and it was  nice size wedding without being too big and chaotic. The menu was well chosen and the family and guests a class act. 

Believe me, it makes a difference. As an events director, I do all sorts of events and Christmas wedding planning falls under a happy and magical production. 

Christmas in elegant colors, classic Christmas background dinner music, an adorable couple everyone is so happy for and the excitement in the air. I'm behind the scenes sprinkling fairy dust making countless details happen and watching timelines to keep the flow on schedule. It was very Hallmark.


It was a very detailed set up, but we had fun doing it. The vendors came in early and did their parts, the florist, the baker, and the candlestick maker. Kidding! The florist, the bakery, and the DJ. 

The one vendor I've worked with a couple of times, he has my absolute admiration and respect. His work is stunning and I'm always excited to see his creations. He's gay, extremely talented, and tons of fun. We worked and laughed all day. It's so non-threatening, so we just have fun.

Together we adjusted other vendors presentations. I'm always careful how I question/present things because you just never know what vendors are close friends and I never want to offend. So I asked my beloved gay friend, his opinions on a couple of things that were questionable, and was happily relieved we were both absolutely on the same page and we made the necessary changes. 

He asked my opinion about a few things, because even talent sometimes gets tired of making all the decisions and he made a, "we should be in business together" comments, which was a compliment. Together, we would knock it out of the park. 

Final touches made, the Christmas wedding production was beginning, everything flowed perfectly. The bride and groom so complimentary and it was wonderful when the mother of the groom shared with me her son said it was the greatest day of his life. 

My vendor friend ran home, cleaned up and came to the reception as the family's close friend at the head table. It was a long day and at the end of the evening I sat down with him to catch up on conversation. He's a great conversationalist and conversation goes all over the place like with girlfriends. He's giving me the low-down on all sorts of stuff, then was telling me about his teenagers (my mind naturally wanders off wondering if him and his partner adopted or had kids when he was younger, I'm sure he will eventually share). Then, he mentions he's been divorced a few years, that he and his wife were married for 18 years. What? Wife? 


Whoa, whoa, whoa! Now I'm waiting for him to get to the part and share he got divorced because he's gay. That wasn't what happened. He found out about her affair and how broken he was.

It's amazing how many thoughts can race through your mind within seconds and minutes. I'm assessing my former and my day-long assumptions of him. Could I have been wrong? There's no way he's not gay! 

I thought I was girlfriend bonding with a talented and funny artist I admire and respect, so I was comfortable being funny and witty all day. 

Holy smokes was I wrong!!! I was wrong and blindsided! He went from funny and witty to sweet and a bit nervous when he asked if I'd like to have coffee or dinner with him something. Wait! What?!

Have you ever watched a movie where a girl befriends someone who she thinks is gay, then finds out he really isn't? She gets angry because she feels betrayed. That's how I felt/feel. I still can't believe he's straight and I was so wrong all along! It’s just like a corny movie, but it for real happened.

So nice, funny and talented, I'm not sure I could date someone who I thought was 100% gay and have everyone assume he is gay, too. It would be funny at some level. I promise everyone would think he was my gay friend. He'd make a great friend though and I agreed to coffee.

I don't share dating stuff on here, until I'm ready, but this was one for books!