Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Simple Fact

It is a simple fact, men and women are different.

This week is our 1 year anniversary. A milestone. A reflection of a beautiful memory of one year ago and our journey through this past year.

His strengths which have become mine and mine his. Mannerisms of my spirit in him and he in mine.

Billy is like me, yet different.

He has the most interesting way of looking at things!  He is artist and he is detailed. I will look at something as a whole in awe and describe its breathtaking beauty. He will look and point out the details of what captures him. How could I have overlooked such details before?

I watch and listen in silent observance of him. Hearing his passion and interests as he talks for hours. He loves to talks and share, I prefer to listen.

We are opposites that complement.

I am early morning, best before the sun comes up. He comes to life at night when I am in a deep slumber. Our cherished alone times, untouched.

He is such a pessimist, I am an eternal optimist. Balance.

Hockey is his hobby, I have no hobbies. We share his.  He reminds me that “he” is my hobby. He loves that and reminds me that I do have a hobby when he “thinks” I am feeling bad that I don’t have one.  He means it in the best way and I love how sweet & special that makes him feel.

I can be mission-driven, direct and demanding. He is sensitive with fragile feelings. I slow down in his presence. Relax.   

He longs for affirmations. Words of affirmations is my love language. Like the rain in spring, I shower him. As the sunshine and rain in spring bring life after winter, healing and restoration fills his eyes and his heart. He longs for my love and my words of praise.

Somewhere between our pasts and our future, I am lost in an oasis of being me. Matched with the one I love and share my life with, content to let go and just be a woman.

I am a woman on purpose. Our relationship has purpose.

It is a simple fact, men and women are different. 

It is a simple fact, Billy and I are different.

It is our differences that make us our best.