Friday, April 15, 2011

Baby Face

My Mariah and I came home early from track yesterday evening after her team placed 1st in the “4 by 200”. She had the flu the day before yesterday which took so much out of her during the competition. 

She was upset leaving early with all of her family attending to watch, especially her first official boyfriend, Mike, as he always watches her track meets. 

Previous boys were dance dates or boys she would talk to, but Mike is much different.  He is her first official boyfriend and they are so cute together!


Mariah and I come home and I lay across our chair/ottoman tired with a headache.  Too many nights running endlessly, long days and it’s the end of the week!

Mariah is lying across the couch feeling badly.  She comes over and snuggles in my arms for about a ½ hour talking about all kinds of things. 

I watch her expressions as she is talking, laughing and telling stories.  The same beautiful face of my baby girl so many years ago, growing up into a young lady.

Sometimes I look at her and I see her as a baby, wide-eyed and alert, not missing a thing in life. Other times I see her as a little girl, independent and wanting to do things on her own. Then I see her as a teenager and I wonder where the years have gone.

A boy has caught her heart. I watch the two of them together, his eyes lighting up watching her.  Staying close to one another talking sweetly and caring. I really like Mike.

He walks her to all her classes, kisses her and runs off to his own classes. Her friends praise her for her catch, she beams with pride.

Getting to ride in his truck to get ice cream or go to the park is the beginning of a whole new world for her. 

Happy. Funny. Athletic. She really is the all-American girl next door.

Still she snuggles in my arms, sharing secrets and her thoughts.

My beautiful baby girl is growing up.

"Baby Face, You've got the cutest little baby face
There's not another one could take your place, Baby Face
My poor heart is thumpin', You sure have started somethin'
Baby Face, I'm up in heaven when I'm in your fond embrace
I didn't need a shove 'cause I just fell in love
With your pretty baby face!"