Sunday, April 3, 2011

Shut Up!

I was in the middle of a persuasive speech making a point to Billy when I hurled, “Shut up (OMGosh, I just said shut up, keeping talking and pretend that didn’t happen), I’m trying to explain to you …”

He doesn’t miss a beat and says, “Did you just say shut up?” “Yes!” I confirm. I continue my speech when he starts laughing and says how he cannot believe I said shut up!

I’m surprised, too. 

As ridiculous as that sounds, it is a reflection of our relationship over the last year. We simply do not speak disrespectfully to each other. In heated discussions, even when we were separated. We do not name call. We do not take cheap shots to belittle each other.

Truth be told, he will not argue. If I am on a war path, he avoids me until all is calm.

That is a needed quality for me, because I was raised in a family that who ever is louder is right-er!  Yelling is communicating. Family get-togethers are always fun, but loud!

With Billy & I, in general conversation, words are not buffered. But, we carefully chose our words at all times when it comes to conversations directed to one another.

When we were separated, during a heated conversation, he called me Hitler.  The only name he has called me in a year. It was so out of character and such an odd name to be called, I chuckled!

No relationship is flawless, but I am so thankful for the small things that mean so much. Respectful conversations. Respect in our chosen words. His mom’s confirmation, Billy has never once said an ill word or made a disrespectful comment about me.

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. and friendship make a solid foundation for a loving relationship.