Friday, July 17, 2020

Big Grammy


When my daughter, Mariah, was little and learning to talk, my mom wanted to be called Grammy. It became decades of laughter when Mariah wouldn't say Grammy; rather, Gaggy. It still makes me laugh. I remember walking into the bank where my mom worked and Mariah shouting, "GAGGY!" and my mom saying, "Would you please teach her to say Grammy!"

Sofia's name for me has changed by the month and she alternates different names how she refers to me. Sometimes I am Grinny, Ganny, Granny, Grandma, and she asks me what my name is and twice has called me Dawn. She is also at that age where she calls her mom & dad by their first name, which is so funny.

She has both me and my mom, two grandmas, and she has another name:  Big Grammy.

Go ahead and laugh!

When I first heard this, it felt like karma from when Mariah was little. We couldn't figure out which one Big Grammy was, with my mom taller than me.

Here, I'm the Grammy with the big house. My mom is Great Grammy.

Thank God my name forever changes and now she will just say the big house.

One day... my Mariah is going to be a grandma. I can only wait!