Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Tai Chi


Today, I took a Tai Chi class. 

Tai Chi is an ancient Chinese martial art, often described as meditation in motion. It's low-impact, slow-motion exercise you do without pausing through a series of motions. It can help maintain strength, flexibility, and balance.

Slow and methodical, I was surprised we covered as much as we did. Who knows, I may practice and I may return. 

I like trying new things. 

Where I had my "Aha!" moment was towards the end of the class, the instructor of the class (let's call him Chinese), approximately 70 years old, with his own school where he teaches, came over and asked if we understood what we just did. 

He broke down each movement into self defense. Each fluid motion we did, which felt very zen, served in ways that never crossed my mind that could break a bone. I'm telling you, this guy may look sweet and grandfatherly, but seeing his agility and speed as he demonstrated the moves we just learned, I'm convinced he could have broken 10 different bones in 30 seconds and could have gone on for hours. It was really cool and I'm glad I tried the class. 

An afternoon date with my Sofia, then I was off for a deep tissue massage.

Spa music, like my new Calm app I am loving, a warm massage table, a heated wrap, and oils being massaged into my skin, was a delicious treat. I felt fabulously relaxed. 

It was an enjoyable day off.