Thursday, February 20, 2020

"So much!"


My heart burst with happiness when after a Facetime call with my daughter and grandbabies, I get a text where Sofia says, "I love her so much!" Unprompted and pure, it meant everything. 

I know she loves me and I know she's crazy about me, too. That sweet baby, I am in love with every dynamic of her personality. 

It's been a really good week.

Today is my home inspection. I can't wait to get back in my new house and look at everything through the eyes of it's mine. I want to see and notice all the little details. 

This is the first year in decades I haven't been able to claim dependents on my taxes and my first year I haven't been able to claim a home. In my fear of getting slapped with what I may owe, a quick prayer, "God, be my accountant" and my own CPA came back with a lovely return. Thank you, Jesus!

A phone call last night came through on my phone with a number I didn't recognize. For the record, I never, ever, ever pick up calls where I don't recognize the number. Leave a message first, then maybe I will return it. I answer the phone...

"Hi honey, it's Russ, ..." Throughout the decades, over 30 years to be exact, he has reached out to me. The years disappear and we slide into catching up. His voice, his talkative nature, nothing changes. 

He confessed to me that he always regretted his decision in choosing one girl over me, who ended up getting pregnant, while we were both dating in our youth. He married her to do the right thing, but it didn't work out. He wanted to let me know saying I was always smart and beautiful and educated, he always wished he chose me. I laughed and shared I appreciate his confession all these years later.

I was so crazy about him. Our dating on and off lasted years. He was always totally honest with me and I appreciated that aspect of our relationship. He knew I was crazy about him and as much as he liked me he was in a wild phase in life and partying hard with no interest in slowing down. We had these conversations our lifestyles didn't match and we both knew it then and made decisions based on that. There were never hard feelings, we knew we were just on two different paths.

When he moved away to Florida and came back years later, he threw me in a tailspin all over again. Through the years I was in a relationship every time he reached out.

I'm not interested in him. He's a friend who makes me laugh and I enjoy his company. It's pretty neat decades later to look at this from an older and wiser perspective. It's also pretty awesome to hear past flames confessions. 

Training my replacement with events this week which will greatly free up my life, a new home pending, and a beach vacation around the corner, life is very good.