Saturday, February 15, 2020

Not My Assistant


My careful list, brainstorming important details, I asked her to sit down so we could talk.

I shared I know she can read the job description, but I want to go line by line because I want to talk about each important detail. First, I shared, it is really hard for me to let go.

Not hard that I have to let go, but hard because I need to and want to, but I won't trust my events to just anyone. After over 1-1/2 years of doing it all, I have found the perfect person, to not just close my events, but fully handle my events.

My performance review was exceptional with 2020's goal to find someone to take over events, only because I work excessive, excessive hours. I do fabulous events, but I am super at sales and a smart GM knows where to allocate my time in rapid growth.

I asked the General Manager to stay for the conversation if he wanted to and he did. We went in depth on the position and the importance without rose-colored glasses, because it's so attention to detail and it's relationships and hospitality and so on. It isn't easy and I want to be crystal clear.

The GM has been encouraging me for 9 months to post for the position and I always explained, you can't judge a person by their resume. I have to see what their made of with professionalism, high attention to detail, hospitality excellence, rising above all situations and strong enough to handle any and all situations as well as my team. A resume doesn't show that.

I found her. A seasoned professional with an open schedule to complement her role as an executive director for a nonprofit she does. She came in like everyone else and I watched closely. I always watch. Like a mom can multitask, I thrive in multitasking at high levels. She has all the qualities I need.

Our meeting went on for a really long time and as we were submitting her position change to HR, we had to come up with a title, I referenced assistant. The GM said, "but she won't be your assistant" and he is right. I will do sales and she will be entrusted with all things events.

It is a bittersweet moment and I am jumping up and down inside. My life and schedule will have normalcy again.

Today we have a wedding for a wonderful couple and today she begins to shadow me until she feels comfortable and says she's got this and I will pass the baton and let her shine.

I like her and I respect (this part is not easily earned) her and I'm guessing she gets no more than three (3) events shadowing me and she says "I got this."

Yesterday, I left mid day for a bit and left her in charge of a wedding set up with a running list of tasks for the team. She listened carefully and confidently she said she's got it. I walked away smiling because I like her confident reply and know she will think through every detail and figure it out on her own. It's exactly what I do.

My gosh, I've made it through an intense 1-1/2 years of doing it all and I am ready for this next season where I focus just on sales and take us to the next level.