Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Exceptional

 


Ahhhh, it's time for the annual review. Like a report card and I feel bad for Dominic, the General Manager, and my office roommate for the last two years. I know this puts him in an uncomfortable situation knowing I will have comments. 

Let me say this, he is a really, really, really nice guy. He believes everyone is giving their best (I get a whiff of shady and I educate him), he's very patient and kind, (I shed light in a heartbeat when someone has a target on his back and I fight smart), he is very nonconfrontational (I will tie my hair back and battle in a moments notice), he believes avidly in wearing masks (me, not so much), his side of the office is always messy and my side is super tidy with my beautiful desk & chair I bought for myself, and our opposites go on in many ways. Including, I believe, our political beliefs. We are opposites. Being opposites is a strength and we are a great balance and friends.

He also knows me very well. When you share an office 30-40 hours a week for a couple of years you know someone's personality. Meaning, he knows who I am, what I think at the moment, and alllllll I believe in. This is what makes my annual review so shocking. 

High marks on everything, then he has to list my strengths. He was generous with his words using impressive description. I'm not going to list them, because I'm not bragging here. Being a "words" girl, I was impressed!

Then, he has to list my weaknesses (This is where I get nervous for him! ha ha )... He listed I could learn the point-of-sale-system more in depth. I BURST our laughing!! Looked over and told him that was an excellent choice and to use it for next year's review. I have zero interest in learning the POS system for over counter purchases (if I have to jump in as bartender or at the grill). You need I.T. training to run this thing with all it's mishaps. I use a paper hashtag system then put the numbers in. Next, he lists "beat ______ (the other venue in 1st place, as I am in 2nd place). Again, I laughed at his cleverness. Third, that I find an assistant. That was sweet. This year I need to find two assistants to close my parties. The schedule will be intense come summer and I have to have this role trained and in place.

I thanked him for being so generous, with my points rating = EXCEPTIONAL

Looking over, I said, "Do you know what I love most about this review? The comment you made where I am a blessing to the ENTIRE company. Thank you." 

He was so sweet and genuine when he said he knows my worth and knows that I don't have to stay where I am at. That could go anywhere, do anything, and be successful. These words mean a lot to me. 

We are a great team because he trusts me and gives me complete freedom to do what I want, try what I want, and he fully supports me. He is also generous with me with complete schedule freedom and running the show freedom, knowing I give more than I take. 

This review meant a lot to me. He was lavishly generous with his words, being a person who knows me very well. The poor guy shares an office with me with no escape from my opinions, my personality, and my competitive nature. Yet, he fully supports me. Thank you.