Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Miss Understood


When my daughter, Mariah, was 2 years old she had done something and was in trouble. Papa, quick to defend his granddaughter, reminded me she was 2 years old and that I should reason with her.

I vividly remember my shock and thinking, perhaps even saying, "Who are you?! You are not the same person who raised me!" He may have laughed. It's just different when you are a grandparent.

Let's just say, it's come full circle.

This is a photo a couple weeks ago I captured when little Miss had an attitude. She is stomping to her room as a public display of not being pleased. I'm laughing, it really is the cutest thing ever. She stomped into my room, put on her sunglasses and sat down hard in her plush chair and clearly is not happy. She was probably further aggravated I was laughing at the familiarity of it all.

Oh, my sweet Sofia, I know all too well. xo


Yesterday's visit started off exciting when I walked in with cake and loaf cakes.


It's a good time to eat the icing off 2 pieces of cake, then lick the loaf cakes to see what she likes best. I love her eyes that light up in happiness and her excitement of all things new.

I cannot even remember what triggered unhappiness, it may have been when I was holding brother who happens to always be happy ...


... that she stomped down the hall into her room and shut the door pretty good. My Mariah just shook her head. That's when I shared a piece of valuable insight.

[Flashback to 22 years earlier and my dad telling me to reason with my 2 year old] "Sis, you were a door slammer, too." She didn't remember that, but both my girls were stomping to their bedrooms and door slammers from toddler years through teen years. I shared with her the best thing about it is, I didn't even care. I was glad you were behind your bedroom door and out of my sight.

When there's attitude, separate space is good. Two years old's get frustrated, too. If stomping down the hall to remove yourself from what is making you unhappy, enjoy your room. Cool off.

Sofia is two years old, she gets over things very quickly. Allow her to have her personal boundaries and self expression. Enjoy your few minutes of peace and solitude.