Wednesday, November 27, 2019

A Momma & Daughter Smoky Mountain Holiday


The extraordinary happens when something far exceeds your expectations and this cabin and our vacation was just that.

There's so much to share and I'm going to do it over several posts, because it's still hard for me to believe all we accomplished and experienced in a few days still with plenty of downtime for real relaxation.

First, I will say that beautiful mountain made me grateful I own a Jeep, simply to get up and down steep and winding one lane paths with no guardrails, the only light on the mountain was the moon light, and some pretty significant straight-down drops. Our cabin (one of probably 50) had the best view. That wasn't by chance, I sincerely prayed for a great cabin. 


The nature and beauty of this mountain was more than I expected. From waking up and relaxing on the porch ...


... 

... to the jacuzzi at night, we never got tired of the view.



We pretty much kept a constant fire in the fireplace that made the cabin warm and toasty.


Of course, I brought my new favorite coffee mugs. Hot coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate, every detail counts when planning. 


This Smoky Mountain getaway was sensory overload. The sights, the sounds, the scents, all the feels, and oh my gosh, the food we had.

The South is famous for sweet tea, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, bbq, pancakes, fudge, grits, and now I know they are all about creamy [vegetable] soup. It's everywhere. I need to detox. 

We ate out a lot, but I wanted my Mariah to wake up to the aroma of a country breakfast. That's the way it's supposed to be when your in the mountains. I would wake up, turn on the fireplace, put on a pot of coffee, open the windows to take in the view, then make breakfast. 

Mariah, a young momma, enjoyed sleeping through the night. I wanted her to rest and be unrushed, just taking care of her. 


One of the mornings, after breakfast we decided to stay in our pajamas and watch the movie, The Holiday. The cast is well-chosen and the dialogue... so beautifully and powerfully written. It's exhilarating and reminding and I forgot how much I love it.    


It felt good to be in this perfect cabin with so much to do in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge; yet, relaxing was also a big deal to both of us. Spending time at the cabin on that mountain is where rest came. 

I seriously fell in love with this tub and this cast iron pitcher!! This tub, a bath bomb, and homemade Mountain Berry soap, became a morning, afternoon, and sometimes an evening retreat. 

My next house is going to have this tub and I'm looking for this pitcher. No, it's not sensational, but when your in a deep tub of hot water, this cabinesque & rustic pitcher belongs here and just feels right in my hand pouring the perfect amount of water. I've never been a "bath" person, always preferring showers, until now. 


I found this cabin journal and as I flipped through the pages of guests before us, it was fun to read their stories and comments on who they are, why they came here, and what they loved best.


I loved all of it. 

Finding my pen, I sat down and wrote our names and our story/experience at the cabin. 

Dawn + Mariah
A Momma & Daughter Smoky Mountain Holiday

I can't wait to share more tomorrow.