Friday, January 25, 2019

Tidying Up


It's nice to see a show that teaches how to clean up an overwhelmed home and I like to quickly watch the before and afters even if I fast forward through the middle of the show, through the struggle of going through the clean-up process.

I was very organized prior to selling my home; however, selling, sorting through piles of what to keep and what to purge, and only taking what I really wanted was a cleansing in a new beginning process.

Now, everything is organized. Even my food pantry and cupboards look good and I wouldn't be embarrassed if anyone looked. 

I like leaving my home and it looks perfect and walking back in and everything is in it's place. It's actually so much less stressful to put things back right away, it simply removes the chore of cleaning up. 

I clean (dust, vacuum, wash down everything), but I don't have to clean up.

Tidying Up is a cute show teaching the art of letting go of things you don't need, learning to live with only the things you do and like the most. Kudos to Marie Kondo for making cleaning up fun with easy to accomplish steps! 

The only part of the show that makes me cringe, which seems to be all the rage is saying "thank you" to each item before it is discarded. Parents teaching their kids say "thank you" to things is a cute and seemingly harmless practice, but notice how it takes their eyes off gratefulness to God and puts it on to possessions. 

We may have an appreciation for things, we don't thank things.

How about to show gratefulness before discarding, teach kids to look up and say "Thank you, God, this was a fun toy to play with," or "Thank you, God, I really liked wearing this shirt" as you recall good memories.  

Keep the concept, shift the appreciation so they remember who to really thank.