Wednesday, April 19, 2017

It Made Me Feel Good

Ready and wanting to leave the rescue mission an opportunity arose in an Executive Director position in a non-profit overseeing 30 pantry locations that serves over 28,000 individuals per month locally.

I truly felt like all my experience in the mission prepared me for this next role.

It became a couple months process of interviews and a Board presentation where I made a quick decision when asked a firing squad of questions. I felt as if they were seeking politically correct and polished answers, and I felt that they needed to know I am not blowing smoke.

One question was ... "With the growing rate of food insecurity and hunger in the younger population (20'somethings), what are you going to do to reduce this rate/hunger for this generation locally?"

I stood there for a second surrounded by 15 professional Board members waiting for a kind and politically correct answer and I told them, "I'm not." I explained to them this generation I have fed and provided for for the last three years is a culture and lifestyle that continues and will continue to grow. That 90% of them are not interested in doing the work it takes to change their lifestyle or their growing entitlements. That you find the ones you can see something in and encourage them.

Questions similar to this came at me. I made a hard decision that I am going to speak from the hands-on experience I have learned and I am going to speak honestly and not tickle their ears with promises I know full well are crap.

I walked out from the Board presentation portion of the interview frustrated, but at peace that I didn't compromise what I believe in.

I got the call and they offered me the job. I was flattered to get the offer, but I declined.

They called back asking what it would take to get me and asked what I felt was the biggest obstacle and I was surprised when they counter-offered to meet that need.

On paper, this job title looks great and the non-profit is everything with significance I know how to do. Believe me, I was in a lot of prayer. There has been so much transition. Once upon a time I thought I could clearly see what my life was going to look like, now I have no idea.

It made me feel good to know the opportunity was mine to take.

I graciously declined.

The job I accepted, they couldn't touch in salary and full benefits.

Everything is different, everything has changed. I needed my career to as well.