Friday, April 28, 2017

A Short Window of Time

The call came two days ago that Hospice came in to make Eric's mom as comfortable as possible. With congestive heart failure, pneumonia and renal failure they gave her two weeks. 

Only a day later, yesterday, they called and said she was unresponsive. 

It's odd how a person before they pass has a burst of energy where they have a short window of time of feeling slightly better before they take a turn for the worse. This happened last night, but we didn't know it was her short window of time, we thought she/we had two weeks.

I'm grateful I decided to drive down and see her after work last night before family arrived, flying in from all directions. I stopped and picked up food, beverages and milkshakes before I arrived at the nursing home and walked in like I always do with some sort of treats. 

Her eyes haven't been opened all day, but Linda knew I was there and I kissed her cheek and asked if she wanted a milkshake.  

God love her ... I was surprised how strong she was taking in those first couple of sips, then she polished off the whole shake! I was looking for lilacs to take her (her favorite flower) and couldn't find or buy them anywhere in bloom. Who knew that a milkshake was probably the best option?! 

She asked when I was coming back, she always does, and she asked if I'd bring her a breakfast sandwich just like the surprise breakfast I showed up with one morning.

Linda reminds me of my grandmother. My grandmother always remembered every detail of the little things I did for her, so does Linda.

I promised her I'd bring her a breakfast sandwich and another milkshake, too.

She asked Eric this morning if I was bringing her another milkshake and he reminded her I always do. That was in conversation before she went unresponsive today.

Everyone is waiting. Her health is failing. They gave her less than 24 hours. 

I hope she can hold on until tomorrow night, her son she hasn't seen in years is en route from California. She knows he is coming.

Every time the phone rings, I wonder ...

This weekend has a heaviness of loss. 

Of course, Brooke and I finally reached the very episode of Nashville tonight we both have not wanted to reach, when Rayna passes away. 

This show started off in a perfect way with unexpected twists and turns and story lines that captured our attention and turned into months of Nashville marathons. We were hooked! We've laughed, we cried, we have been angry, and blindsided so shockingly that we've sat with our mouths open looking at each other in wild-eyed disbelief. And, we fell in love. 

Brooke and I were a wreck watching this episode.

I love Rayna and Deacon. 

I love their chemistry and their love that endured. Rayna was the moral foundation and heartbeat of Nashville and we both agree, we are not interested in the direction of the show without her. 

I am blessed to have met Linda. She is the first mom I have bonded with in over 20 years since my mother-in-law when I was married. 

It is bittersweet. I am blessed I had the opportunity to meet her, establish a relationship with her and for her to see her son happy. A part of of me thinks how cruel, to have met her, bond so quickly and so sweetly and to only to have experienced it for a couple of months. 

My heart hurts.