Monday, April 17, 2017

I Often Wondered

I couldn't take my eyes off of him. He was about seven years old standing about 6 feet in front of us in line for 30 minutes patiently waiting to see the Easter Bunny.

It was his sandy-colored hair cut identical, a blue plaid short-sleeved shirt with jeans on and he was standing with his hands in his front pockets with his feet apart and hips slightly forward. It was almost as if an audible voice said, "That is what it would have looked like."

For years I often wondered what our kids would have looked like if we had one. I always questioned why our paths didn't fall in line 20 years ago when we first knew each other and how differently our lives would have been now, but ... it's safe to say, it probably wouldn't have looked much different.

I believed it was going to be extraordinary.

"That is what it would have looked like" and I already knew, but I needed the little boy to turn around so I could see his face. His build was on a frame that reminded me of how Mariah was built and when he turned around he had features more like me with brown eyes.

Sometimes I wonder if God gives us a glimpse of what could have been. Even if a part of closure, because at one point in life it meant so much.

He was calm and patient waiting in line for quite a while. He never spoke and remained composed in a perfect blend of both of us.

I wanted to take a picture and I wanted to forget, but in my heart I believe I got to see what it would have looked like if we had.