Saturday, September 6, 2014

Morning Coffee with God

My one Saturday off a month and it is going to rain today, but the sun is out for one more hour. Make the most of it!

I put on a morning pot of coffee, slipped into a bike riding outfit, filled my "Princess of our King" coffee mug and set out for a morning bike ride and coffee on the dock of the lake.


Many times I have presented my desire to God that someday I want to have coffee in the morning with Him because it is my favorite time of the day and I love coffee.

Happy to slip away while my girls are sleeping, I pass walkers and runners embracing the early morning.

I wanted to be here.

Sometimes I just sit still. No pleas, special requests, suggestions or recommendations presented to God, but just sitting still admiring the beauty and quiet of the morning.

I see something in the water ...


and I smile. It's for me.  God is such a gentleman.

Never have I seen a flower along these shores and I appreciate that the color complements both my coffee travel mug and the splash of pink in my riding outfit. Some may say coincidence, but not me.

Not sure how long I sat there, because I didn't want the moment of the morning to end. My mind wondering what it would be like if God did indeed join me on the dock. I'm guessing a 1/2 hour passed.

I heard in my mind out of no where, "It's over."

What is over?!?!

"It's over."

A memory came to me ... many moons ago, when Mariah was little her dad and I was in an ugly court custody battle and while I had every justification of solid documentation as to why he should not get shared parenting, she was being given the opportunity to say what she wanted.

I knew the seriousness of the question, she was a child and could not comprehend it.  So, I brought her down to this very dock on the lake and we had our feet dangling in the water as I was doing my absolute best to communicate to her this decision.

It didn't surprise me that should would say she wanted shared parenting. She has always been a girl-on-the-go and bouncing back and forth having a good time everywhere was what she liked.

Fast forward to last night ... it is over.  Her dad has passed away and last night we moved all her things from her dad's house home.

I don't believe in coincidence; rather, all things happen for a significant reason.

While I was having morning coffee with God, He reminded me it was over. All of it. The struggles and years of fighting with their dads.

What a moment of realization.

I sat there a while longer and reflecting back over all of it and then I thought of my girls at home most likely just waking up. Happy, healthy, strong and mine, both at home with me and I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

I loved my morning coffee today, but I was more than ready to bike home and make breakfast for my girls.