Monday, September 8, 2014

In Competitive Fashion

Happy to report, I beat my summer distance yesterday when David and I rode the towpath 35.8 miles!!

Sunny, low 70's, the towpath was the fullest I have ever seen with walkers and other bike riders and we stopped 1/2 way to partake in ice cream at a quaint corner with stands of ice cream, corn on the cob/fresh lemonade/sweet tea, a fresh produce market, and a live music  ...


It was perfect.

David heard the train and suggested we put the bikes on the train and ride it back, because it is something I have always wanted to do. I let him know that we had gone so far, that I wanted to beat my own summer record of 30 miles.



It was the last 8 miles when my pace began to slow.  

I heard things like, "Keep up!  I thought I lost you. Come on grandma. Do I need to slow down?" when I assured him I prefer more words of affirmations such as, "Wow, you are doing really well! You can do it!"

Getting close to the parking lot, a woman walking her dogs on his side gave me the advantage and I found a burst of energy and blew passed him giving him a glimpse that I was still in the game to beat him.  He was on to me and passed me before I knew it.  

Listen, he is really fast!

We (he) decided to check out the towpath on the other side of the parking lot where we were parked. We had reached our goal, but technically he had extended it.

David stopped ahead, by a family of riders, waiting for me. The family encouraged me, that I can do it!  I assured them I was at 34 miles at this point and gained new found admiration when they claimed, "Oh, we are only at 15 miles."  

We turn around.

The finish line is the parking lot.

We spar a couple of times in my catching him off guard passing him in my I-have-no-energy-left slow pace.

Then it happens.

Less than a quarter of a mile to the goal.

His sweatshirt falls off the back of his bike rack and he didn't know it.

Inspiration burst in my mind. I felt as if I was running a marathon and the only person in front of me fell on the ground in a leg cramp. 

Laughter filled my brain and I excitedly let him know the last moment he was in front of me he needs to go back and get his sweatshirt.

[I wish I had the moments in his brain to share here.]

He slows down, makes a quick decision to go back and get it.

Adrenalin is found someplace in me I didn't know I even had and I took my one very chance in the world at beating him and rode faster than I ever have in my life!!

I pedaled as fast as I could looking back a couple times to see when he was going to blow passed me.

I'm pretty sure I was smiling in winning success, quite possibly laughing out loud across the finish line, but I was certain to be off the bike and posing in winner poses when he came in view in the ride of shame into the parking lot. 

SUCCESS!  I WON!  

It will never ever happen again and he has most likely made this mental decision to prevent any of my future wins.

But, today I WON!