Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Schools Closed

When I was a kid, during inclement weather conditions, my brother and I would sit in front of the television hoping, well, begging to see our schools name flash across the screen.

Now, I get an automated phone call usually between 5:30 - 6:00 a.m. from the superintendent of our schools stating that school is closed for the day. Less time consuming than watching hundreds of school district names cross the screen by county.

The phone call came yesterday morning at 5:30 a.m.  While I appreciate the early notice, does it have to be so early? Now I am awake for the day.

I let Brooke sleep in. She walks out of her room after 7:00 a.m. and looks sleepy, confused, hopeful.

"Do we have school today?" She asked excitedly. "SCHOOLS CLOSED!" I confirm her anticipation.

She throws her arms in the air, looks up and says, "Thank you, Jesus!"

I smile at her display and am happy she knows who first to thank.