Wednesday, October 24, 2012

How Am I Like My Dad?

Once in a while Brooke will ask, "How am I like my dad?"

Today she wanted to talk about him. She wanted to know the story of how I met her daddy and what parts of her are so much like him.

This blog is for my girls, for someday if and when I cannot remember or be there to tell them ...

It was a warm Saturday night, May 16, 1997, two days after my divorce. I was at Pelican's Cove on Portage Lakes in a dark blue with little white polka dot sundress on (the very dress that is in Brooke's legacy box) when I saw her daddy walk through the door for the first time. He was with a date. He took my breath away looking so Hollywood, muscle bound, and dressed GQ and I was so aware of his presence throughout the night.

At the end of the evening I was near the dance floor when he turned around and asked me, "What is your story? Why are you here alone?" I explained I was very recently divorced. He asked me out for the next afternoon and we met back at the Cove and went riding on his motorcycle. When our afternoon was done, he kissed me on the cheek and asked me out for diner.

I remember very vividly feeling as if I would die if I never had a chance to kiss him again and that is how we met.

Besides this last summer, the summer of '97 was the best in my life.

"How are you like your daddy?"

"Your blond hair, your body shape with the dimples on the small of your back. Your mouth is your daddy's and when you yawn I see him. When you sing I see him. You are so funny just like he was. He had a passion for music and dancing, you definitely got your natural rhythm from him."

Everything else is me.