Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Peak Autumn In The Mountains

We waited for peak autumn in the mountains and I hopped in my car and drove to my grandma's in Virginia.

Timing was perfect! The mountains looked as if they were covered in a blanket of rust, reds, orange and yellows. The weather was 76 degrees and sunny. Grandma and I rolled the windows down on this absolute perfect autumn day and went for our ride through the mountains and the countryside.

 
 

Humpback Bridge is one of the few remaining humpback bridges left in America and a always a favorite destination of mine.

 
In any season, Humpback Bridge is picturesque! 
 

I love my trips to grandma's house. I love the time we spend laughing, talking and hearing endless stories of her life growing up on a farm back when they made their own soap, churned their own butter, and farming was a way of life. 
 
The majestic mountains, the crystal clear rivers, the countryside homestead called Rich Patch where my grandmother grew up and my dad's life began.
 
My grandmother is 87 years old and I am really seeing age take its toll on her.
 
Saying goodbye to her was different this time. She isn't feeling well and was in bed all morning when I left. I went into her room to say goodbye when she hugged me, kissed me, and said, "I love you, Dawn. I want you to always remember how much I love you and I want you to know that you have been my favorite (me and the twins, Shey & Josh) and my most compassionate grandchild. You are beautiful. Never forget that. Enjoy your parents. Enjoy your girls. I love you so much. Please come back soon and don't take too long."
 
I'm always brave and keep my emotions under control, but I understand what she is telling me. She knows her time is limited and I can see it in her, too.
 
I sat down on her bed, held her hand and cried. It was time for a very honest conversation and I need to tell her how much I love her and how much someday I am going to deeply miss her.  
 
I had my opportunity and we said what we needed to each other. Grandmother to granddaughter. Granddaughter to grandmother. Dear friends.
 
Someday I will long for my trips to the beautiful mountains of Virginia to grandma's house.
 
I will miss the beauty of the country, the memories of Humpback Bridge, Rich Patch, the hot springs where my grandmother and I went in together naked.
 
I will miss the scent of the papermill at Clifton Forge, the olfactory sense that takes me back to the familiar smells of my childhood.
 
I will miss rides through the country and my grandmothers stories a life so long ago, one that I cannot imagine.
 
I will miss my grandmothers sharp mind and her ability tell story after story all day long.
 
I will miss her honesty with me about life and us laughing together over the craziest of topics.
 
I will miss my grandmother, but for now I still have her, and I do need to get back there sooner rather than later.