Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Sweet Slow Season

In the midst of the fastest summer of my life was the choice to slow down.

Facebook events, Groupon, and Entertainment, social media lists hundreds of events every weekend and throughout the week. You have to run around with your hair on fire to partake in a couple of the trendiest events and while it's fun and action-packed, it's expensive, and it's exhausting.

When I was 20'something, I was that girl. If there was an event, I was there. Not only was I there, I was in the limelight, dolled up, and twirling in delight.

People used to call me to find out what was going on around town to find something fun to do, because I knew what was happening.

It was a lively season in my life and I thrived in it.

Interests change, new hobbies are enjoyed and I find I don't like the chaos much anymore. If there is a ton of people, I have about an hour in me. It's fun to put my toes in the water of fun festivities, but I am no longer interested in fully submerging.

I like not having the white noise of cable television.

I enjoy balance, peace, and quiet. I confess I find more enjoyment in a sweet slow season.

Last week, after waiting two months, I finally got into the dermatologist about a spot on my leg. It's been there for a couple of years, then in about a month, it grew significantly and was strange shaped. My mom who is WebMD certified was sure it was a melanoma. She and my dad have both had multiple experiences with this.

The nurse did her preliminary work asking medical history. She went down a checklist of health questions, I answered, "no". She cringed as she asked if I brought my medication list with me. I laughed at her and said I don't take any medications. She was stunned. I don't.

I don't have health issues, thank you, God. I don't have mental health issues, thank you, God. No, I don't have anxiety or depression, thank you, God. No, I don't take vitamins.

I work hard. I eat healthy. I drink at least 32 oz. of water a day and try for more. I exercise. I sleep on routine schedule (while that sounds hum-drum, routine is key to falling asleep in seconds, waking up refreshed, and feeling energized).

The only time I visit a doctor is if I am sick. There have been times where it is 4-6 years in between even seeing a doctor. I recently went 8 years without going to the dentist, with a check-up the dentist said I look as if I've gone every 6-months, no cavities.

The spot on my leg was some medical-term lesion she burned off. All is well, thank you, God.

All that to say, have you ever seen so many people who struggle with anxiety and depression? It's a horrible new trend and everyone seems to want to jump on that bandwagon. I don't know if it's a lifestyle thing, it's food/health related, its a too busy thing, but you are responsible for your health and your mental health and each decision you make adds to better your health or chips away at it. Times that by years.

It's easy to get too busy and the fallout of those negative effects.

My life works better a little slower.

My family time and time with friends works better a little slower.

When there is time to relax, enjoy nature on a bike or walk, see the ripple of a paddle board gliding across a quiet lake, watching the sunrise with a cup of coffee surrounded by flowers, and when there is time to just get to be us.

That sweet slow season.