Sunday, August 12, 2018

Fresh Mint Leaves


I used to buy packaged mint leaves at the store in the salad section. Freshly packaged up they cost $3-4 for a small 1" x 4" plastic package container and I found I would have to use them right away because they dried up quickly.

Still, it was a refreshing treat.

Not sure why I never thought of it until this summer and of all places, I found a tiny mint plant at Home Depot for $3. 

That small investment has given me so much delight! It has doubled in size in one month. It produces constant leaves, and I pick them from the bottom where they are the largest and put them in my teas, in my crystal pitcher of cucumber & mint ice water in my refrigerator and in fresh salads.

It sits on my balcony with all my other plants and I simply water it. I'm thinking I may pick up other herb plants to add to my balcony collection and culinary dishes.

In addition to their cooling properties, fragrance and mildly sweet flavor, mint leaves have health benefits such as aiding digestion, treat dizziness, nausea, headaches, nasal congestion, improving blood circulation, relieving muscle pain, boosting immunity, and the list actually goes on. 

All for only $3.