Thursday, May 3, 2018

Three Decades Later ...

It was the week of March 6, 1990 when we went on an ocean cruise to the Bahamas. Our last trip together as a family, it was on my brother's 16th birthday. I was 20 years old.

That's when I met him. So sexy, so charming and that accent! He was an entertainment waiter on staff on the cruise ship and our table was in his area. I remember when my mom said for a younger guy she thought he was sexy!


He could barely speak English, who cares I was in vacation heaven!

I remember the day we went into port in the Bahamas, he and I spent an afternoon at the beach together. When you're young and so alive in vacationing sunshine, who cares if there is an English barrier.

That evening we went into town to an open air night club and danced to Top 40 hits to a steel drum band. It was magical and I when I left the ship, I was heart broken.

We wrote to each other for a short time, this was back before social media. Life happens and we stopped.

Fast forward almost three decades later ... my mom text me this photo two days ago.

[As I am writing this, Ting! I smile and I know ... it's him.]

My mom text me his photo and last night I wonder if I could find him. Guessing he is back in his country or perhaps anywhere in Europe, I put his name in search.

I knew him immediately.

Sending him our photo, a brief conversation, he Facebook friend requested me. I learned he is living in Florida, has been since the early 1990's and doing remarkably well. Oh my goodness, had I of known all those years ago.

Still a total hunk!

Total confession ... as I was checking his life out on his Facebook page, I saw some videos he posted. In one he was talking. Surprised, his accent still thick, after all these years. I closed my eyes and listened and remembered after all these years.