Sunday, March 11, 2018

Ice Wine, Baby!


Ahhhh, quite possibly my most favorite festival of the year is the Ice Wine Festival.

Sampling ice wines from one winery/vineyard to the next is a perfect opportunity to taste a host of ice wines back to back to find a new favorite. 

Those little samples add up quickly and I am both grateful and thankful for the newbie to this fun festivity and my charming designated driver. Enjoying ice wine is a prerequisite.


The highlights of the festival was a fabulous new find after a crashing low. The crashing low being each winery offered an appetizer or dessert to complement their ice wine. At St. Joseph's their dessert description on the board as we entered offered a delectable description that I was thrilled to sample. In fact, it was this very winery that I found my inspiration for Mariah's bridal shower dessert. My hopes up, all excited, I see a flat star-shaped cookie on a plate. That description in reality was a flat shortbread cookie with slight gooey flavor. Someone dropped the ball. Hard.

To whom do I voice my annoyance?

Then, my eyes spot a table full of maple products. I love maple! I was curious of this Maple Sugar product and as I was asking about this product I was offered a taste. MIND BLOWN. Amazing! What flavor! This Maple Sugar is what I can use to sprinkle on top of baked sweet potatoes and certain meats.

I spot these maple sugar leaves and as I am all about redeeming the let-down of a bland shortbread cookie, the taste of the maple sugar was pure maple sugar crack joy! Nothing at that very moment could have possibly tasted more extraordinary than that. I was in heaven!


Winner, winner, chicken dinner, my favorite ice wine of the day was the Blush Ice Wine, circa 2018.

Well done South River Winery. Cheers!