Sunday, December 28, 2014

Christmas Blessings & Vacation

In a blur of Christmas activity, I reflect back and say, "Whew!"

It was a different kind of a Christmas in so many ways.

While the rescue mission tapped into every ounce of multi-tasking and coordinating I had in me, which pretty much took all my energy from the month long events and things I enjoy for my personal Christmas season, I hold on to my highlight moments.

In the midst of Christmas chaos, David swept me away for a wonderful, fun-filled and adventurous out of town, surprise getaway. We went to Nashville!

We stayed at the breathtaking Opryland Resort, which was walking through flawless Christmas gardens and decor everywhere we went.. We sat 4th row and absolutely loved the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular at The Grand Ole Opry. Enjoyed a life size nativity & outdoor lights, dined in An Underwater Dining Adventure, went to ICE! A 15 degree ice museum with 2 million lbs of colored ice sculptures in Twas the Night Before Christmas. Went out to country music clubs in downtown Nashville and listened to some pretty awesome bands and both of us are officially wildly crazy about a band called Eskimo Brothers! Toured the Country Music HOF, drove and spent part of the day at David's properties and rode on the Tail of the Dragon (Rt. 129) on the way home. I laughed as he gripped the passenger door handle as I took the sharp curves and when his head was out the window nauseous needing fresh air! 

Passing through Ashville, NC, only minutes from the beautiful Biltmore Estate, we whisked off the highway and stopped to see the outside of the estate in all its Christmas glory. But, they wouldn't let us drive through without a ticket.  It was already 6:30 p.m., we still had an 8-hour drive home and we both had to work the next day. David handed me $50 and said, "Buy us tickets so we can see the house." I came outside heartsick, in order to drive on the property, it would cost $89 per person.  

David insisted.  We were here, let's take advantage of every moment. Sparing no expense we went in to get buy tickets to only find out the next tour isn't until 10:00 p.m.!! So close, we couldn't make it happen.  Maybe another Christmas.

It was a fun-filled adventure and a perfect holiday getaway!

I hadn't realized until the middle of Christmas that everything felt so normal ...  

This was the first Christmas (in 4 years) since Brooke's dad died that she was excited for Christmas and happy Christmas day.

This was the first Christmas in 18 years that I have not shared my daughters with their dads. Both of their dads have passed away and every Christmas for the last 18 years I would juggle our family, their family and share the day. I didn't have to share this year.

David was with us. A family night Christmas Eve and waking up together as a family. 

I did my usual turning on Christmas tree lights, soft Christmas music, put on a pot of coffee, put breakfast in the oven, took a shower and was ready for everyone to wake up.

Christmas spent with family in normal Christmas routine. Everyone healthy, happy and present, minus my sweet little boy, Sammy Blue.

Sammy Blue had a gift in his Christmas stocking this year. A light blue sparkle photo album that included every picture we ever took of him. A memory album.

After it was said and done David pulled me in his arms and said, "Christmas was perfect."

And it was.