Saturday, November 8, 2014

Egalitarianism Contradiction

My name is Dawn and I am an egalitarianism contradiction.

I am reading along in my book when a description WHACKS! my attention.

The gist of it is, I insist on an egalitarian relationship where we both have equal authority, yet I contradict egalitarianism by expecting him to lead our relationship.

It's all very confusing, but it makes perfect sense.

My reality is, I am both mom and dad. I have both full responsibility as the provider and the caretaker in my home. I don't get half of life's responsibility, nor do I have the financial safety net of a partner to pick up the pieces should I not do well.  I get full-fledged both responsibilities without a break or a crutch. Times that by 18+ years.

Honestly, I would love to watch a movie with certain people playing both my roles in life endlessly and see how they would truly do. Making it work isn't an option, but it changes a person.

By rights, I have full authority.

By my beliefs, I have old-fashioned values.

I often tease David and let him know he is the boss because I let him be the boss, to which he says he isn't the boss if I allow him to be.

I recognize he has a natural male desire to lead our relationship. And sometimes I patiently wait a 1/2 a second then take the lead in areas that are important to me.

It's confusing because I live in a world where I believe one way, but I live another because it isn't an option.

Time fine-tunes well-honed skills.

Insight and discernment recognizes the invisible battle.