Monday, November 10, 2014

5 Seconds


I was thrilled when David text asking if I wanted to go hiking or biking. 

The weather this week is going to bottom out in the 30's with rain and in all his multi-symptoming misery, he gave me what I wanted/needed, an afternoon doing what we do.

Yayyy! I was jumping up and down in my mind excited for an afternoon of adventure and exercise with him.

Knowing I love new experiences, he specifically chose a place I had never been, all-inclusive with a river, trees and hiking trails.

Romance bursts in my mind, because I am a girl.  

I am a relationship, love-oriented, romantic.

He is a results-achieving male.

A man's version of hiking ... find her beautiful trails with water to make her happy, walk fast, increase heart rate, and ask after hiking 5 miles up a steep hill of wet leaves, "Want to race to the top (5 more miles)?" 

Me: "No. Go ahead, I will catch up with you." 

David: "I thought you wanted a workout?" 

His idea of a hike is intense workout. For the record, I know he doesn't get his best intense workouts with me. That he prefers to go faster and harder. When we bike he likes to ride at 16 mph, I prefer 10.

This was after his recent comment of my lagging behind, "Are you getting tired?" 

I'm thinking ... as long as I love doing physical activity with him and never, ever complain, I deserve more words of affirmations on being a super-trooper versus the obvious pointed out.

Quickly, I go to in my mind how differently men and women are wired. Physically, in our thoughts and actions. We have been wired differently from the very beginning on purpose.

I immediately think the thought ... if I was a few years younger than him and in incredible shape, he would still have much better endurance than me. Guys are just made that way and he is already in tip-top shape. I'm confident I would lag behind anyway. 

My idea of a hike is walking new trails I've never seen, admiring nature and spending quality time in a romantic setting holding hands with him while increasing my heart rate. It is a blend of outdoors, walking and romance.

These are the thoughts flowing through my mind and I thought I need to gently tell him what I am really needing to make this moment perfect ... "I like to hike with you and hold your hand." 

He heard criticism and felt as if I dumped the first load of hot coals over his head. 

Translation:  [I can't even guess how it sounded to him. I'm certain his perspective and version of yesterday would verify how differently men and women see the same situation, but I don't have his version to share here. Although it would probably make a funny blog post.].  

He replies, "I picked out a new trail I knew you would like with water. It's cold out so my hands are in my pockets and I constantly need a kleenex."

Men are achievement oriented.

Women are relationship love oriented.

He achieved his goal giving me the exercise he knows I long for in a setting I would love.

I want all that PLUS him to take 5 seconds to want to pull me in his arms, kiss me and tell me he loves me.