Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Awesome Responsibility

A hospital representative came to the rescue mission to introduce me to her successor, because we are near and dear to her heart, she wants to ensure he continues in her footsteps as well as meeting me.

It became one of those tours where fascination opens the minds eye because he had never seen or known about a men's homeless shelter and a meal ministry that feeds the poor.

I can always gauge their interest by their questions and his were transparent. He wanted to know all sorts of details.

This makes it fun for me when I can be raw and truthful about the mission versus the polished, sweet and high-level overview that most people prefer.  I like answering the questions that fascinate people.

He inquisitively asked substance abuse in this population ... how I handle those situations.

He asked about the guys living in the homeless shelter ... how did they get there ... was I afraid?  Not. At. All.

He asked about the homeless dinner guests ... their lifestyle ... interesting questions kept coming.

Genuine intrigue makes tours more entertaining.

He became fascinated with my role.

All that goes on every day, the extreme needs that are met, this population of people I provide for and my reactions to their random behaviors.

So much happens every day. So many extreme needs that comes at me in every direction. I impact peoples lives daily.

I provide absolute needed human necessities.

They come to me as if I am their minister, I hear their broken stories and they believe I am their liaison to God. It is an incredible responsibility.

I instruct, lead and direct poor performers to do the work.

I am a mom to the boys who have no parents and are lost. I care for them when they are sick, encourage them and become their safe place.

These are the ones that matter to me.

This group does not include the 350+ workers and volunteers that come through my kitchen every month, all who need something from me, coming at me all day, every day.

I am run to the battle line.

I am front line in feeding the poor, hungry and broken.

I am 6-days per week.

I am also the least paid in the mission and zero benefits.

I am frustrated that in all my awesome responsibility I can barely make ends meet and health insurance is another job away.