Wednesday, June 20, 2018

A Letter to the New Home Owners


I met the new home owners by chance. It was sunny and warm as I raced home from work, changed quickly and hopped on my bike to go riding while a tour of my home was about to take place.

Maggie pulled in as I got on my bike and I stopped to introduced myself. She asked if there was good biking around here and I was more than happy to tell her about my 8-mile ride I take around the lake. She seemed excited, so I highlighted the close local conveniences as well as the neighborhood.

They are in their early 40's, newly married within the last couple of years and this would be the first home they've ever bought.

Riding back home from my ride, their real estate agent said she'd be in touch, they are making an offer on the house. When they wanted to take a 2nd serious tour of my home and I wrote them this letter ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Dear Maggie & Kurtis,

Welcome!  I’m thrilled you like this home. It is truly a home that love resides.

It makes me nostalgic thinking of our life here for the last 15 years and I am so grateful. My girls were 7 & 3 years old when I bought this. I needed a home in a community I felt safe with being a single mom and I wanted a home of stability and a yard.

When I walked through the doors in 2003, I walked back out and said, “No way!” It was a disaster! Lol Dark paneling, shag carpet, the lower level was creepy, a bzillion apples on wallpaper, and there were 6 doors in the little hallway between the living room, dining room and bedrooms. My dad said then, it’s cosmetic.

It was a leap of faith on a very limited income and six weeks after I got the keys, I managed to knock down walls, level floors, gut the kitchen, and peeled wallpaper for 2 of those 6 weeks before I could move in. Outside was a jungle monstrosity. I wish now I had photos.

Over the years, I tore down the dilapidated deck and put in a stamped concrete patio, built a shed, started over with the landscaping, and put in all new appliances. Inside several years ago my Dad & I finally tackled the creepy lower level. We knocked everything down to the concrete floor, the walls to the brick and the ceilings to the floor boards. With an electrician and a plumber, the lower level became a new master suite and private oasis.

Last year the upstairs bathroom was redone. My office/prayer room is now my granddaughter, Sofia’s room, and I find it to be a very peaceful place. This home and property has been covered in prayer.

Everything has been maintained well, works perfectly and my utilities are low.

In 2003, I used to mow the yard in high heeled sandals. Lol Today is quite a different story and I am a grandmother. My youngest has graduated and is moving out and this home that love built is ready for a new family. The neighbors have been here as long as I have and you will find this a very quiet street where people are friendly and wave.

I wish you the best and hope you find this home to be exactly what you want.

Warm regards,
Dawn