Friday, May 29, 2015

Life to the Fullest

I saw her from afar
   enjoying life to the fullest
     moving confidently
       through her dreams
         weaving new dreams
             arms open
           as if expecting
         more blessings than she could hold
       and I wanted her ...
     I wanted to drink from her life
    to taste
  what she thought was so sweet
    I wanted to fall asleep
      hearing her laughter
        and wake up in her arms
          so strong
            so warm
          so able to love at the same time ...
       I wanted to wander through
     the maze of her mind
   and discover each fascinating thought
       each unspoken question
          I wanted to know
             who she was ...
                every facet
                  every flaw
                     every strength
                  every weakness ...
              I wanted her to 
            need me
         to not need me
      to want me
  to not want me 
      like an elusive butterfly
         drawn to the color
             of my love 
                 already drunk
                    from the honey of the Son
                  while she decides
               whether to alight
             and partake or not 
          I have already decided.
     I want her ...

                                  - Michelle McKinney Hammond