Thursday, May 28, 2015

"I Cannot Imagine ... "

He sat down in my office and I didn't say a word to give him the opportunity to tell me what was on his mind. His eyes were looking down and I asked, "Want to tell me what is bothering you?"

"Can you tell?" he asked. "I am a mom" I said knowingly. He laughs that great laugh I adore about him.

We became friends months ago at the shelter and I will never forget the day he walked into my office. Very guarded, waiting to be judged and walked out friends.

He took a deep breath, looked up at me, placed a little box on my desk and opened it.

*BLING* a beautiful diamond ring sparkled.

I smiled at him and he quickly said, "I will buy her a better ring when I can."

Surprised and impressed, I know the ring cost him way more than he could afford, he worked hard and bought her the the best he had. "Well done, Michael. It is stunning and she will love it!" I genuinely mean that.

I am a safe place for him and he opens his heart and shares he is going to propose this Friday. That he would like to plan something really special for her, but he wants to ask her to marry him so much he doesn't want one more day to pass.

We have had many conversations about dating, healthy relationships, love and respect, and I know he is in love with his girl. I ask him the one question that is my go-to, "Is she the one you cannot imagine your life without?"

He looked me honestly in the eyes and said, "I cannot imagine a day without her."

I love his answer and I love his heart!

He shared that he is good with his words, but that he hasn't figured out how he wants to ask her. As his sounding board I told him how I loved exactly what he just said. Tell her you cannot imagine a day without her.

He was teetering on getting down on one knee, I encouraged him, absolutely yes! I shared what getting on one knee means and he seemed to find it honorable.

He is over the moon nervous, yet excited. I am over the moon proud of him.

How pure his love is for her that he worked so hard to buy the very best he could. How wonderful that he cannot wait beyond Friday because he simply cannot wait for one more day to pass to ask her. He cannot wait to marry her and he cannot wait to share his life with her.

It is refreshing for me to see. I cannot honestly remember the last time I saw a boy so desire to marry a girl.

I hope she knows his worth.