Friday, March 27, 2015

Superhero Tiffany

It's the end of the month and the number of dinner guests are high in the rescue mission.

Everybody needed something last night and I felt dizzy two and three people asking for things at once. I found myself putting my finger up saying, "Give me a minute ..." a lot.

One of my girls came up with a panicked look on her face and said, "A fight is about to happen in the parking lot."

A lot happens in less than 30 seconds.

A girl jumps up to run outside, knocks a chair down in front of me. I am trying to get through a dining room of people carrying their plates to the bins to leave, to now step over a chair, get into my office to grab my cell phone because I have no pockets on my dress [to call 911 if I can't get the situation to calm], guests in the dining room hear something is going on outside and everyone jumps up to run outside.

Detail:  I am the only staff person present at the mission.

Phone in hand trying to get through a now excited crowd, they part for me to get out the door.

I see the direction of the fight due the crowd is facing and I see a group of seven guys clearly aggravated and yelling.

I know all the guys and find myself in the middle facing the hot-head, a 20-something boy often in my office. His face is already busted up from a previous fight and he is yelling about something.

Another behind me jumps in mouthing off and begins to challenge an already aggravated situation, challenging for a fight, ripping his coat off [which is the most ridiculous thing ever. It's a time-buyer. If I am going to hit you, I am not going to dance around, take my coat off, build the moment. It's just going to happen.]

I have Andrew, yelling and cussing in my left hand held behind my back as I am facing this older street guy who is ripping his coat off and I am warning him he needs to stop, right now!

It really is an odd dynamic because I have no fear what so ever. All I was thinking was, does he really think he is going to come through me to get Andrew? Andrew won't shut up behind me being a smart mouth, hot head I am dead in the middle of this guy testosterone moment.

The parking lot is full of people waiting to see what is going to happen and out of no where, Tiffany, a beautiful, black, street girl who I have helped a couple of times a year ago steps in front of me. Between me and the guy challenging Andrew.


In front of everyone, she raises her voice and says, "Hey! This is Miss Dawn! You are not going through her. You will have to go through me!"

She stood steadfast and wasn't messing around. As serious as a heart attack.

One of the guys grabbed him by the shirt and hauled him off the parking lot and Tiffany turned to me and said, "Miss Dawn, I wouldn't have let him touch you, he would have had to go through me. You have been so good to me and I love you!"

I hugged her and said, "Wow, Tiffany, you are a SUPERHERO!" I thanked her and told her I was not afraid at all and the she did not need to put herself at risk, but that I appreciated her on behalf of all the women who do a man's job!  We laughed and hugged.

Once a scene happens, it is very much a part of this culture for everyone to get excited and another fight almost breaks out with a different group on the other side of the parking lot. The guys half haul and chase them off the property and I called 911 for a police presence. They where there within 1 minute.

It happens.

Later, some of my shelter residents find out what happened and the position I was put in and they were furious. These are my no-nonsense guys who will take out the street riff-raff. I'm glad they were not present or they would have ended the situation, risking their bed at the shelter.

It always amazes and impresses me those who step up out of no where. The quiet ones you don't expect that defend and protect.

In appreciation to Tiffany, I filled a "Thank you superhero appreciation bag" with a beautiful cake, cookies, and everyone's favorite bags of pepperoni rolls.

The guys are now on high alert and will be watching me like hawks in protective mode. They really are an awesome bunch!

Now, I wait for both my hot-heads to walk back in for a meal.

Nobody walks back in without a conversation in my office first and a re-establishment of respectful dinner guest rules.