Saturday, March 7, 2015

A Needed Rendezvous

With our work schedules incredibly busy, winter being too long and far too cold, I heard complete frustration in David's voice. The frustration where stir-crazy meets I-hate-winter and it's-been-too-long-since-I've-seen-sunshine-kind-of-frustration.

He wants to go bike riding, run the monument steps, ride his new motorcycle, burn off some stress and frustration and needs ...


I totally get this! 

In the summer we plan mid-week dates and slip away for outdoor adventures. It has been a while, so with creative coordination I planned a surprise mid-week rendezvous and he only knew to meet me at my house at a certain time and to bring workout clothes.

Even though it has only been months, I forgot how much I love mid-week dates. 

Time together alone and a surprise activity ... racquetball!

It was fun playing together in a high energy sport with competition and a LOT of smack talk!  

I cannot win against him in anything [Except that one glorious day when we rode our bikes 34.8 miles and I won beating him to the finish line only because he dropped his hoodie on the bike trail, but that counts!], but it was competitive in nature, a great workout and challenged us both in a good workout filled with laughs.

There is a lot to be said for creative planning that energizes and rejuvenates winter-worn spirits. There is more to be said for mid-week dates that refresh us when we both work so hard. 

Our secret escapes hold incredible worth.

Spring is coming and we are ready!