Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Wedding

Love perseveres. I heard this today from the minister as my friend Stephanie stood at the alter with her betrothed, Luke, after 10-1/2 years of dating.

Ten and a half years ago, in the era of Dawn, Dawn, and Steph with our babies 1,2,3,4,5, and 6 years old, the three of us were out when Steph met Luke. He is 10 years younger than Steph and she patiently waited and truly persevered through his growing up.

"The brides side, please" I state as I take my seat to watch this wedding that is finally happening.

I'm not fond of weddings. I'm just going to put that out there.

But, I am happy to be at this one.

The minister asks everyone to rise [the wedding march begins] and I see Stephanie walking in the sunshine truly looking beautiful and beaming for this day she has desperately wanted for so many years.

I'm holding my breath to not cry, happy her magical day has finally come and it is perfectly her. Every detail.

She desperately loves Luke. Loves him so much she endured him not being what he should be for all those years. She persevered because she loves him.

She says her vows, her promise of forever. God and I know she will try.

I can't imagine any more being able to love one person so much that I will ever experience my own wedding day.

I am broken. I am either not capable or my time has passed.

I have taken a dating detox sabbatical for the last five months. If I do things differently, what will change in my life?  A quest I am testing.

So far really good behavior is not paying off.

My morals have been strong. A multi millionaire 100x over is in hot pursuit for a "relationship." My gosh how my life could be significantly different if money satisfied my soul. Don't think I didn't entertain money over morals. He boldly asks, I say no. He asks if I am surprised that he asked? My answer again is a simple "no." Did I know his professional approach was going to turn in this direction, yes. I saw it coming.

I want my soul to sing. I don't want endless money as a price to tolerate a shallow person when I loathe shopping anyway.

I'm holding my breath. I can't even smile at Stephanie as her happy gaze lingers across her guests. If I smile, the tears will come.

How lucky she is to be so happy in love on her wedding day. To say vows to the one she knows so well, loves so much, that she promises forever.

A wedding, the one she has dreamed of for 10-1/2 years. Congratulations Stephanie & Luke.

Steph, your love and perseverance has paid off.

I hope I get my own wedding day, someday.