Sunday, June 17, 2012

Only 30

Once upon a time, many moons ago when I was, I'm guessing 32 years old, I met a much younger boy.

He was so sweet, unjaded by life, and often worried that the difference in our age bothered me.  It did. When he spoke. He talked mostly about partying and drinking, but at 20 years old that is where he was at that point in his life. 

We dated for a couple of months because he was so good looking!  One day he came over and said he quit college, he wanted to be a family!  That day, I broke off our relationship.  I had my girls, told him he needed to finish college and have his own family.

A few years later, I ran into him out and about, I was dating another at the time.  I will never forget his sweet comment, "OMGosh, you look astonishing!" 

Astonishing.  I love that word and it was the sweetest compliment!

Fast forward many more years to 2012, our paths crossed.

He is a Professor at the university now, which cracks me up.  His mom probably doesn't even know what a close call that could have been!

I am almost 42, he just turned 30.

We went for ice cream last night and sat on my favorite dock overlooking the lake.  It doesn't get much sweeter than that.

I have seen him several times over the last few months, he calls me constantly, always trying.  When he rattled off list of things we could do on a Saturday night, I really didn't want ice cream, but I can't remember the last time I went for ice cream with a boy, than sat on a dock on a warm summer night.

He has his own kids now and is still the same sweet & thoughtful boy he was 10 years ago.

My friend Dawn always says, "They always come back to you!"  They never come back better though ... this one did.  More mature.  Even better looking.  Conversationally equal.

I have no expectation or anticipations. I simply enjoy this well-educated, very handsome young man who still seems to think the world of me.  

Refreshing. Sweet. Innocent.

It's like being 20'something all over again.