Thursday, June 28, 2012

Life Is But A Vapor

Once upon a time, I came alive and fell in love over and over on a dance floor to the live music of LaFlavour.

The summer I met Brooke's dad was a defining moment in my life. I was 27 years old and he was 36. He was a 36 year old professional bachelor and I was about to learn first-hand what that world meant.

Do you have a defining moment in life where your life totally changed?  Not your circumstance, but you.

Life for me had a defining moment, where I changed inside forever. One would think that it would be when I was married and had a baby, but that was a normal progression in life.

My life has two parts, before 27 years old, after 27 years old, after Keith.

Everything changed. I changed.

That summer of '97, our days were spent on the back of a motocycle and poolside, our nights spent on dance floors in clubs. Every one of my senses were alive, my heart and my mind.

Last night we went to hear LaFlavour play at our annual community celebration. But this time the "we" was with our daughter, Brooke.

A warm summer night, outdoors spent listening to the same songs and sounds that triggered my memories and my heart back to 15 years ago. 

Last night he filled my mind, very much alive, smiling and dancing. He was there with us.

Life is but a vapor. Memories come to life when when you hear a song, smell a scent or when deja vu, what was already seen, reminds us that we were at that very same moment once upon and lost in the vapors of time.

Brooke asked who I was looking at across the sea of people. It was a couple that used to share the dance floor with her dad and I back then. "Just somebody who looks familiar," I reply.

"It has made me wonder if perhaps there is more to our relationships than mortality portends. If perhaps some things are forever in another realm, where clocks stop and nothing remains but the bonds we have forged through love. That and the lessons we've learned."  - A Perfect Day