Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My Blue Suit

My Mariah asked me last night if I would be interested in being a parent volunteer for National Pi Day at her high school.

"Sure!" I said and thought how neat it is that I can finally volunteer for them at their schools without taking a vacation day to do it.

Mariah: Really? Can you wear your blue suit?
Me: Do I have to dress up?
Mariah: No, but the moms last year were nothing and I want everyone to see how beautiful you are!
Me: *sigh*

We live in a middle to upper class community of working professionals. One of my decisions to moving here was to live in a community with an excellent school system and a community that I felt safe being a single mom with two little girls. My concern was making sure that my girls looked and dressed like the other kids on a single income and thankfully I pulled it off!

Attending years of sporting events, I have made an observation that a perk of being single is keeping yourself on top of your game. That sounds bad, but it is true. So many women comfortable in the confines of marriage have let themselves go. Out of shape and dated, they have slipped into a dangerous comfort zone that isn't attractive. Living in a community that is financially well off, I assumed the women would be bored and country club bound. Many still may be, but they have let themselves go under what they think is the safety of marriage vows. That is not okay.

I secretly love it that my girls are so proud of me. I love it that their friends think I am amazing and after I attend an event, the girls talk about me in class on how they wish their moms were pretty like me.

Girls like pretty. Girls respond positively to pretty, being warm & friendly has made me a model mom in their eyes.

I am so thankful my girls prefer me being with them and proud I am always there cheering them on. I am their biggest fan.

I feel such a sense of accomplishment when they stand in my arms in front of all their friends totally okay in a loving embrace, allowed to kiss their cheeks and sweet faces.

I will let Mariah pick out an outfit that makes me look young, hip and cool. I will enjoy my day volunteering, seeing all her friends, the kids she has gone to school with for the last 10 years.

Mariah wants to rock bikini season this summer, with me.. There are no excuses for me and a quest I must pull off as I turn 42 years old. Time is on my side.