Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"Is Mariah Coming Home?"

“Is Mariah coming home tonight?”  Brooke shouts across the house yesterday morning. She wants to know if Mariah is coming home or going to her dad’s house.

“Why?” I ask. “Because I want to wear her pink top,” she shouts back. I can hear her upstairs in Mariah’s bedroom, anxiously going through her clothes, but needing the okay her sister won’t be coming home after school.

Oh the memories from years ago! Except it was me going through my little brothers sweaters back in the 1980’s when leggings and big sweaters were in!  I would open the door to our house and tell everyone to close their eyes (as if there was a surprise) then I would race to my bedroom before anyone could see what I was wearing. Jason would tear down the hall after me. I smile now thinking how many times did they fall for that and actually close their eyes?

Decades later, Brooke enjoys Mariah’s clothes whenever she isn’t home.

Today she found another pretty hot pink top in her sister’s closet. Pink clothing selections for the approaching Valentine’s Day.  We seem to be celebrating Valentine’s Day all month.

“After all, they are going to be my clothes anyway someday” a very entitled Brooke states.

Pretty in pink, off to school she goes!

She better hope Mariah doesn’t stop by the house after school.