Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Wedding Gift


My wedding gift to Brooke & Alex was their wedding and a dining room table.

Brooke is quite the suzy homemaker. There is zero similarity from the teenager she was living at home with me to what her home looks like now.

I used to just pull the door shut due to total disaster. She used to wash clothes all the time, because when they are in piles kicked all over the floor, you just never know what is clean or dirty. I would demand every blue moon her bathroom had to be cleaned. 

Today, she can make her eye twitch when she says Alex drops his clothes to the floor or his towel on the floor in the bathroom. I laugh because it's her who shocks me! 

Brooke decorates well and her home is always clean and tidy. She does special touches and effects when guests come over. She reminds me so much of me.

Prior to the wedding (in August), I was asking her what they want and need for a wedding gift. Brooke likes to stay in and cook versus eating out; however, she doesn't like eating in front of the television, because they didn't have a dining room table.

So, that's what I got her and Alex and I gave it to them early to start using. Brooke ran right out and bought a centerpiece for the table and place mats. 

Eating at a table is not what Alex has been raised doing or used to. His mom doesn't cook, they always ate out. The television turned off and dining at the table with conversation was pretty new to him. 

Today, Brooke and I had her name changed at SS and the BMV and went to lunch. When our lunch arrived at the table, I started to eat when Brooke sat still with her eyes closed praying quietly.

I knew what she was doing, but still had to ask in shock, "Brooke, were you praying?" She smiled and said, "Yes, Alex and I pray before we eat. He even said the blessing out loud once." 

Brooke has always prayed on her own and she is vocal that she prays, but since she was a little girl when she would pray for the doorknob, the window, the carpet, the walls ... pretty much everything in the house, I've never seen her do this on her own since she was little.

During marriage counseling with my brother, Alex accepted salvation. I'm so proud of him and I know it means everything to Brooke and all of us. The fact that she has integrated eating dinner at the dining room table together and praying before they eat is a blessing. I'm so proud of her!

I will mention, because I don't think I did, on Brooke's wedding day during the champagne toasts in the wedding reception, Brooke & Mariah toasted with sparking juice while the rest of the bridal party had champagne. 

Neither of my daughter's drink by their own choice. They don't make it a big deal, they just aren't even slightly interested in alcohol and not many parents can say that of their adult children. I'm certainly grateful I can say this. Alcohol equals a lot of unnecessary drama and risks. 

I love that Brooke & Alex pray together and I'm grateful that there time together at the dinner table is important.