Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Put On Your Oxygen Mask


It was time to put the oxygen mask on and rejuvenate. I had an amazing day off.

On a plane, the stewardess always says in case of turbulence and the oxygen mask drops down, put the mask on your face first so you can help your children/others. Well, I needed the proverbial oxygen mask.

With always a productive list of things to do, on my way out the door this morning I grabbed a good book, just in case I found a quiet spot in nature where I could enjoy it. That's what I really wanted was nature, silence and a good book. 

It was a gorgeous autumn day. Sunny and 67 degrees, not a cloud in the sky. After a quick trip to Cleveland, it was a spur of the moment thought and suddenly I found myself at Headlands Beach.

A complement of the sun being hot on the skin, yet the cool autumn breeze off the water had me thankful I had a long sleeve shirt on. Walking in the sand barefoot, suddenly I knew it was exactly what I needed. Time to rest, read my book in this needed setting, walk on the beach, and I found I did this in cycles. 

I ended up spending hours there. When I finally left, I felt refreshed and happy. Almost like I had just had a full body massage, relaxed.

There is no white noise at the beach. It's simply the water, the sand, and the sunshine. I intentionally did not check my email today, because I needed a day of peace and quiet and zero needs and requests from other people. 

Me, I need alone time. I am super resilient with alone time outdoors in nature and I refresh quickly.

Know when you need a day or several hours together to really relax. This does not mean catching up on chores. Know what you enjoy that refreshes you. 

People are not mind-readers, they don't know what you need when you need it. Know when to put your own oxygen mask on.