Sunday, April 21, 2019

Ancestry DNA Shocker

When my mom's brother contacted me because our DNA match has us closely related, I had no idea how blindsiding all this was for him.

He is 60 years old and found out through Ancestry DNA last week that who he thought was his dad his whole life, isn't his father. His mom passed away years ago, who he thought was his dad passed away as well. His whole identity shattered as he learns who is biological father is (my grandfather) and he never even knew of him.

I feel sorry for the guy.

He has to sort out regarding his own identity and if his brother is really his brother or his 1/2, not that that matters. I'm sure he is questioning everything and he and my mom and aunt have been in a lot of conversations trying to fill in the pieces for him.

Asking my mom what she thinks of him in general (how odd it must be for her, too), she said that when she heard his voice for the first time it took her breath away. He sounds just like her dad. My grandfather has been gone for 40+ years.

What an Easter he must have had with family. Does he say something or not? Does he look at each one and wonder who knew and if they are really related.

This would all be tough if you were a kid. I cannot imagine living my whole life knowing my identity, then have it be a lie at 60 years old.