Sunday, February 11, 2018

A Part of Our Story

My eyes opened and I was so tired, I wanted to close them and go back to sleep, but I wasn't at home.

I could see his face close to mine to my left asking if I was okay and then there was another to my right, I could hear her say, "I am an ER nurse, have you ever had a seizure before?" I turn my head slowly to look at her, but everything was dark (my vision was almost black) and I couldn't hear her through a tunnel. She was pretty, a blond, and I said, "No (to the seizure question), I cannot hear you."

I am on the ground. Oh my gosh, I passed out!

TEN MINUTES EARLIER ...

We walked into the bar to hear this band play that I was excited to listen to. The place was packed, so we found a spot to stand in. As we were talking I could feel my vision start to go black. I don't say a word. [Are you kidding me! I am doing a quick memory check on how long it has been since I've blacked out (years) and a self assessment, what is triggering this? Shake it off. Shake it off. I see two seats and desperately hope if I sit down I can get this to pass with zero notice.]

The chairs were quickly taken as we approached and I could feel more darkness envelop me and I found a new place for us to stand.

More darkness. I think I said ... all he said he heard was, "I think I am going to pass out ..."

"Are you okay?" he asks looking at me worried. I'm wondering why?

"I am an ER nurse, have you ever had a seizure before?" [I'm thinking this isn't happening. Did I get hurt when I fell? Nothing hurts. I can't see as if the lights are off and I cannot hear what they are saying.]

"An ambulance is on it's way!" I'm shaking my head no, I think I said the words. Oh my gosh, I cannot shake this. It won't pass.

Next thing I am on a stool, a bar stool with a big glass of orange juice in front of me being told to drink it really fast to get my blood sugar back up. I know its been minutes and I am still not shaking this.

My body is in a sweat and I am leaning forward with my head on his chest. I can feel his hand in my hair trying to comfort me. [Pass, I need the darkness to pass]

Oh, great, here are the paramedics. I'm guessing I'm getting a lot of unwanted attention in this bar.

Stop. Okay, feel free to crack up laughing. It was everything ridiculous! Are you flipping kidding me?! It's been 13 years since I've actually passed out cold. That last time was on a 1st date at the Cleveland Ribs Fest at a concert during the grand finale when I went down. That 1st date with a guy I desperately wanted to date, but it did turn into a 2-1/2 year relationship though. So, ladies, I promise as mortifying as it is, it isn't a deal breaker!! In some weird way, this unwanted episode allows a man to be a hero and a protector. It's a weird damsel in distress, the man gets to be the prince and kiss sleeping beauty.

My vision is finally starting to come back, the paramedics are asking me rapid-fire questions, my finger gets pricked. "Ma'am, your blood sugar is fine, there is something else wrong with you."

I am 47 years old and I have lived with hypoglycemia for over 30 years, I know exactly what this episode is. My blood sugar is probably back to normal, it's been minutes and I've sucked down a large glass of orange juice before they got there.

"Ma'am, we need to check you out in the ambulance." I am NOT going to the hospital, but I am ready to get the h--- out of this packed bar so in the ambulance we go.

Lot's of questions. "Ma'am did you take illicit drugs?" I'm certain I laughed. "No, I don't do drugs, but I do have hypoglycemia, it's just been years since I've passed out."

They ask him, "Are you the husband or boyfriend?" He says, "The boyfriend." Then he looks at me and smiles. Hmmmm

The only explanation in all things was we had a busy day, we were starved before our sushi arrived at dinner, and we had ordered cocktails. Mine was really strong. In fact, I commented after a few sips I could feel it, but then dinner arrived, it tasted so good, and I sucked the strong drink down.

I cannot go too many hours without eating. Some people can starve themselves, me, I literally pass out if I don't eat something, due to my blood sugar.

As he is driving me home, he asked, "Was that okay that I said boyfriend." [I begin feeling shortness of breath, chest pressure and my hair follicles begin to tingle. I'm kidding,]  Everything is happening so fast as if I am being carried along as if I blink my life continues to change.

"Yea, that's okay," and I smiled.

He is sharing details of the whole pass-out episode and we are cracking up laughing!! Good grief, I said I wanted that moment wiped from our memory when he said, "No way, it is a part of our story." <3

He shared as we were standing there (I was standing in front of him with his arms around me), he thought he heard me say, "I am going to pass out" then I went limp in his arms [Feel free to crack up, I am laughing writing this] and he lowered me to the floor, which is why I didn't feel like anything got hurt as I was laying there.

He was so sweet, so caring and concerned throughout the whole ordeal. A rock of strength as I was a puddle of pass out! Lol

We have laughed about his perspective, my perspective, but I will leave you with this ... he said when we were in the ambulance and the paramedics were asking if I had used any illicit drugs that he was going to be funny and mention that line of coke I did earlier (which is a joke!). I told him if he would have said that, I'd told the ambulance driver he was keeping it in his butt hole, go ahead, search him!