Friday, December 15, 2017

Who's Child Is This?

No, not "What child is this?" Who's child is this?

With GPA's holding some credibility, I guess it would be your Senior year to apply yourself to academics. I don't recognize my own child who is studying like crazy and getting A's in all her classes and a B in Math through this second grading period.

Academically bright, I know she has it in her, she has just refused to make the effort until this year.

I came home after running around to my driveway being completely shoveled. Who did this? Imagine my shock when Brooke walked out of the garage.

It needs to be said that in the fourteen years we have lived in our home, I gave up having Brooke help shovel a long time ago. We call her Noodle. Noodle arms because she doesn't have much strength, more so by choice. She would bundle up, get a few shovels of snow and beggggg to be done. She exhausted me. To have her see the need, take the initiative and not wait me out, I was confused, surprised, then wondered what she wanted. Here, she just did it. She also recruited Andy, the neighbor kid.

The garage door wasn't working, she took the initiative to figure it out. She recruited Alex.

She picked up the rest of the leaves from autumn. She recruited Alex.

[Brooke is clearly strong in leadership and delegation. I have said since she was a bossy little girl, Brooke would one day be President & CEO.]

She just seems happy.

One day she text me, "In 2018 I'm turning depressy to successy."

There have been several pieces parts that have turned the ship for her.

When she was a little girl she refused to be potty trained until a ridiculous age. I knew as her mom it would be her waking up one day and deciding to do it, but it wouldn't happen until she made the decision. That is exactly what happened. One day she woke up, made her own decision and she was forever potty trained. This was the first of many events in her life of waiting her out until she made her own decision.

It is a sigh of relief, a refreshing change and an added blessing to have her turn 18 years old happy and in a significantly better frame of mind.

Her independence and happiness = my independence and happiness.