Saturday, December 2, 2017

10 Traits in a Future Spouse

Brooke's health teacher emailed all the parents informing us of a homework assignment that was given to the students.

Students are to list ten traits that they want in a future spouse. Then, parents are to list ten traits that we would prefer for our child's future spouse. Let me tell ya, it makes you think!

There are limitless qualities that individually are critical, but I could only choose ten.

I tapped in the five love languages to create a solid foundation of needs, then I sprinkled it with qualities that I admire and appreciate and aligns with Brooke's hearts desire.

1. God-seeking. *Not just "I'm a Christian", occasionally goes to church, and claims to know the bible but his actions speak everything otherwise. A man with his heart, priorities and life that is an actually living example and seeks God in all things.

2. A fount of words of affirmations.

3. Strong, healthy & respectful with physical touch.

4. Desires quality time and makes that a priority.

5. A willing heart and follow through with acts of service.

6. Kind. *So underrated but so important. This trickles into so many areas of life.

7. Generous. *A happy and content person pours out love through generosity even when means are little. Example: Mariah's grandmother, great-grandmother and aunt on her dad's side have very little. They have always struggled to just be able to get by in life; however, they love big. They give what they don't have lavishly and always have to the point where I want to say you don't have to give so much, please keep something for yourself. It is the way they love and honestly, it is a beautiful example. They have always lavishly given when they struggle to just live and I've seen that through the decades of how they have given to Mariah and now to Sofia.

8. Funny. *Laughter is magical and makes the heart happy and light.

9. Intellectual. *Brooke is intelligent and desires intellectual conversation. She has always done better with adults than her peers because of this. Interesting topics. She is always thinking and far older than her years. Mentally stimulate my mind and you mentally stimulate my heart.

10. May her and her future spouse learn to love each other more with each passing sunset. *To be an oasis refreshing one another and falling deeper in love with a bond growing stronger each sunset.


There are many more qualities that flood my mind, things are are really important. Traits change. What you like at 20 isn't what you'd pick at 30. The same for the 40's and I already feel that with 50 only years away.

Stability for me at 47 is critical. Not just financially stable, because life happens and the ground shakes, but mentally stable, emotionally stable, ever-present stable. I'm not interested in a dry leaf that blows in wind which ever way the wind blows. Life is already challenging, I desire a stable partner that I can depend on and feel safe with. A rock of stability. My rock.

A man secure with himself. Not a bucket full of holes that can never get filled and needs attention from anyone and everyone. You know the "selfie" type? Them.

Travel and adventure to me is critical. Like the analogy of being unequally yoked, the stronger oxen learns to slow their pace and loses strength so the weaker oxen can keep up. I want a strong partner beside me, challenging me and stimulating me, not making me lose momentum. I want to travel to places I've never been and I want to fall in love with new adventures that I never knew I'd love.

I wondered what Brooke thought of the list I gave her, then she told me she couldn't wait to show Alex. Oh, my Brookie. <3