Saturday, February 9, 2013

Umbrella/Singing in the Rain

 
Middle School Talent Show
presented on stage
in Theater
 
Not just a regular school talent show, but our township talent show. A community where parents invest in their children and the standards are high.
 
The audience was full and I held my breath when the first act was a group of kids with down syndrome singing and dancing on stage. I was braced for the reaction of the student body, but what they did was they sang along, clapped to the beat of the song and cheered as if they were their biggest fans.
 
The acts were amazing. Dancers. Singers, solo, in duets, or in groups of three. Violinists. Pianists. Boy bands that felt as if you were at a rock concert, the student student body when wild! Exceptional performers, not at home talent. Two little baton twirlers came out and I smiled with little expectation. These girls stole the show!  They twirled, flipped, they rolled spinning batons on their bodies while they danced, the juggled and twirled three batons while dancing. I've never seen anything like it.
 
My Brooke's act was about to happen and I was breathless with anticipation, excitement, and nerves. 
 
In Brooke fashion, she assumes everything will pull together with little effort. She went to tryouts without a single practice with her friend she was doing a duet with. The music she downloaded onto a cd for their tryout performance didn't work.
 
Only half the students that tried out actually made the talent show and I thought her music not working would have been their easy out.
 
They made it.
 
They came together at tryouts for the first time and sang a cappella. I'm not saying I had anything to do with it, but they had to have the correct music submitted at school the morning after tryouts if they wanted to stand a chance to make it into the show. There was no time and I didn't know how to help, so I prayed for Divine Intervention.
 
The staff loved it so much, they said they would find and handle the music for them and they did. Thank you, God!
 
Brooke and her friend took to stage and called themselves The Drizzles. Her friend started singing the first verse of Umbrella, then Brooke sang her verse of Singing in the Rain. Back to Umbrella, they sang a couple versus together, and broke back and forth with Glee's blended version of Umbrella/Singing in the Rain.
 
They did such a good job and Brooke kept breaking out into a huge smile as friends from the audience were shouting, "We love you, Brooke!" 
 
The evening turned out sensational. Brooke learned that by participating in this production she made many friends and kids she wasn't friends with congratulated her on a job well done.
 
I still stand amazed at the performances and the student bodies applause and genuine support of every single performance, even the few that weren't above par. 
 
"Singing In The Rain / Umbrella"(feat. Gwyneth Paltrow)
(Uh-huh, uh-huh) Yeah, Holly
(Uh-huh, uh-huh) Good girl gone bad
(Uh-huh, uh-huh) Take three...action!
(Uh-huh, uh-huh) Woah!

You have my heart
And we'll never be worlds apart
May be in magazines
But you'll still be my star
Baby, 'cause in the dark
You can't see shiny cars
And that's when you need me there
With you I'll always share
'Cause I...

I'm singin' in the rain (We'll shine together)
Just singin' in the rain (We'll be forever)
What a glorious feeling (Be a friend)
And I'm happy again (Stick it out 'til the end)
I'm laughing at clouds (More than ever)
So dark, up above (We'll share each other)
I'm singin', singin' in the rain (Umbrella)
You can stand under my umbrella (Ella, ella, eh eh eh)
Under my umbrella (Ella, ella, eh eh eh eh eh eh)

These fancy things
Will never come in between
You're part of my entity
Here for infinity
When the world has took its part
When the world has dealt its cards
If the hand is hard
Together we'll mend your heart
'Cause I...

I'm singin' in the rain (We'll shine together)
Just singin' in the rain (We'll be forever)
What a glorious feeling (Be a friend)
And I'm happy again (Stick it out 'til the end)
I'm laughing at clouds (More than ever)
So dark, up above (We'll share each other)
I'm singin', singin' in the rain (Umbrella)

You can stand under my umbrella (Umbrella)
Ella, ella, eh eh eh (Just singin' in the rain)
Under my umbrella (What a glorious feeling)
Ella, ella, eh eh eh (And I'm happy again)
Under my umbrella (I'm laughing at clouds)
Ella, ella, eh eh eh (So dark, up above)
Under my umbrella (I'm singin')
Ella, ella, eh eh eh eh eh eh (Singin' in the rain...)

It's rainin', rainin'
Ooh, baby it's rainin', rainin'
Baby, come here to me
Come here to me
It's rainin', rainin'
Ooh, baby it's rainin', rainin' (More than ever)
Baby, come here to me
Come here to me

It's rainin', rainin' (I'm singin' in the rain)
Ooh, baby it's rainin', rainin' (Just singin' in the rain)
Baby, come here to me (What a glorious feeling)
Come here to me (And I'm happy again)
It's rainin', rainin' (I'm laughing at cluods)
Ooh, baby it's rainin', rainin' (So dark, up above)
Baby, come here to me (The sun's in my heart)
And I'm ready for love

My umbrella, my umbrella
My umbrella, my umbrella