Thursday, February 14, 2013

Card, Candy & Flowers

Traditional Valentines Day gifts in an untraditional way.

A card from my grandmother. Pink roses and a best girlfriend lunch with Christin. White tulips from Faye and a box of chocolates from my brother.  All the bases were covered that made this Valentine's Day with no expectations into one where I just felt happy for the people in my life that always make such a difference.

The best part of my day was the burst-out-loud gut laugh with Christin.  Let me back up and tell you how I prepared for today for my girls ...

Weeks ago, Christin, gave me the idea to surprise my girls at school. I was excited about changing the day up a bit for them and bought GIANT Valentine Day cards 3'x2' and a large red heart full of chocolates for each of them.

This is Mariah's last Valentines with her dad, so I called Eric in preparation and asked if he wanted his name on the card and wanted the surprise from both of us, he was pleased. The card was signed:

"We love you so much!
Mommy & Daddy"


Finally, my plan was executed once they both left for school. Before going into the office, I drove to the middle school, then the high school dropping off their tokens of love in the office so they would be called down out of their classes with a fun surprise waiting for them.

I was excited. I could only imagine how pleased they would both be.

Mariah text "thanks for the card & chocolate."  Brooke, nothing.

At 4:00 p.m. I called home to give instructions on starting dinner, I asked Mariah if she like her surprise, "Yah, thanks. Ummmm ... about this weekend, can I ..." she goes on listing her weekend plans. I call Brooke's cell and asked about her day. She said "thanks for the card and chocolates."

Christin is across from me and can hear the conversations.  I hang up and say, "Brats! They are spoiled brats!"  She bursts out laughing and said they are just used to me doing so much for them, but that I will probably snap when I get home feeling so unappreciated.  I could feel my let-down of the surprise complement the reality of now they are both on my nerves and could sense I could just snap.

All I could do was laugh.

A good and hearty gut laugh at the ridiculousness of my constant efforts and their too-used-to appreciation. Honestly, it was the best laugh in ages.

Let's just say, I walked in the door at 5:30 p.m. and there on the counter sat dinner that Mariah forgot to put in the oven that had been at 400 degrees for 1-1/2 hours.

Thank goodness for girlfriends. How thoughtful of my brother.

Often it is a combination of the most unlikely people that really make a Valentine's Day special.

Happy Valentine's Day