Thursday, May 17, 2012

15 Years

Tuesday morning I had a busy day a head of me and much to accomplish.

I look at the time on my cell phone as I race out the door when my eyes catch the date, May 15th.  I feel like that day means something, but I can't remember?

Racing to the library, then the grocery store before a 10 a.m. appointment, then to the Great Lakes Science Center with my mom for the day, I am driving when it hit me! 

I have been "divorced & single" for 15 years.

Not an anniversary of celebration, but an anniversary of the unexpected and never anticipated.

Wow, 15 years!

Being 27 years old and newly divorced, I gave myself a couple of years max before I would be married again. Never did I dream that years would continue to pass and all of my plans for my life would do an about-face.

I look back and I am thankful.

Thankful for the personal growth. Thankful for my accomplishments. Thankful for the strength, the opportunities and the experiences I would not have had otherwise.

The moment of realization that 15 years had passed was freeing, like a letting go. No more counting the years. Counting is over.

Life has drastically changed, but I have changed the most.

At some point along the way, through the years, divorce dissolves and turns into just single.

Check the box:  __ Married  __ Divorced __ Single   

I say I am single.  If someone asks if I am divorced, I do say yes. 

Divorce was a lifetime ago. Another girl ago.

The person I am today is single.