Saturday, January 14, 2012

"Mom!"

It never ceases to amaze me, the motherly instinct of hearing my child across a sea of people.

Last night Brooke and I went to the movie theatre. The lobby was packed full of movie-goers chatting endlessly while waiting in line at the snack bar. There were 5 rows of people, Brooke wanted candy for the movie. It was then, above the chatter, across the room, I heard “Mom!”

Mom is a common term, but instantly my head turned, it was my oldest baby girl. Mariah was in the far line getting pop & popcorn.  She ran over to Brooke & I to say hello when she said she was there with her dad to see the Adam Sandler movie “Jack and Jill.”  We were, too!

Mariah gets their popcorn and pop when I tell her, “As soon as your dad drinks the pop, thank him for me for the first sip!”  She chuckles, I smile in satisfaction.

Eric, Mariah, Brooke and I all sit together in the theater. Eric leans over to sip his pop when I leaned across Mariah to thank him for a drink. He only laughs.

Eric and I have spent the last 15 years since our divorce getting one-up on each other when it comes to our bad sense of humor.

All four of us sat in the theater together laughing at a comedy.

It was less than a week ago when I was desperately trying to figure out a way all of us could get together without it being awkward under the disguise of buying cherished time. I am also trying to get Eric to make a video for Mariah, it seems something too hard emotionally for him to do. I still want the girls to have last fond memories of time together, but I don’t want to overstep my boundaries … a new behavior I am learning since his diagnosis.

Only a few days ago when I couldn’t figure it out myself and I had to hand it over to God. “Please make opportunity arrangements were the girls both have last good memories of all of us together.”

I do believe in divine intervention.

 I do believe it wasn’t a coincidence that all of us showed up at the same movie theater, the same time for the same movie.

I’m hoping more of these opportunities present themselves.