Monday, January 9, 2012

Mama Said

“ … there'll be days like this,
There'll be days like this Mama said
(Mama said, mama said)
Mama said there'll be days like this,
There'll be days like this my Mama said”

“You will have days you will be happy and completely fine, then you will have days that your heart will hurt and you will cry,” I told Brooke.  Cry when you need to. Mommy still cries for you and your daddy, too.

She said everyone thinks she is strong and she is trying to be. “A strong person is one that is true to their emotions and feels the things they should,” I am trying to teach her, through the murky waters of her dad’s death. 

It started last night when the three of us were talking about Eric’s worsening Lou Gehrig’s. Mariah telling me the things she needs and wants to happen for her dad’s death that she is not able to tell him. I am her trusted liaison. Mariah sharing her heart and her thoughts of her dad being in heaven someday.

Eric’s struggle and continuing downward spiral with Lou Gehrig’s is resurrecting emotions Brooke does not want to deal with.

Last night she was very quiet, this morning weepy and today she called me from school. I could barely understand her, when she repeated in a broken whisper, “Remember you said there would be good days and bad days? I’m having a bad day,” she sobbed. I was at the school in 35 minutes.

She needed me.  She needed to be in the comfort of home. She also needed a super fun & new desert to shake off the depression. I whisked her away to Don Pablo’s for a fried ice cream and hot chocolate lava cake! New atmosphere, two new deserts to try, just what mom (the doctor) ordered!

I could tell the depression had been shaken off and as we walked out of Don Pablo’s, Brooke’s arm hooked in mine, she said, “I feel like the weight of the world is off my shoulders.”

“Mama said there'll be days like this,
There'll be days like this Mama said
(Mama said, mama said)
Mama said there'll be days like this,
There'll be days like this my Mama said”

That's why God made chocolate!