Saturday, February 6, 2016

Happily Ever After, Life in the Castle

Once upon a time ...

David and I have been dating for going on three years. The natural progression is for our lives to blend together and for years I have dreamed of what our life would be like 'one day.'

Harmony. The naturalness of every day normalcy. The thrill of knowing he is near and while our lives are busy, knowing every night I slip into bed next to him.

I have felt like an exotic destination he wanted to be at for years, imagine when it is every day.

All this practice, fine-tuned. Two happy hearts reach this new season. 

I'm thinking fairy tales of Cinderella and her prince, after the slipper.

Life in the castle after Belle turns the Beast back in the handsome prince.

The happily ever afters, life in the castle after every princess gets her prince.

We are on week #2 of almost, kind of living together. [He has been here for two weeks, although not moved in.] 

Me sensitive and accommodating to his space, my space, elements of routine normalcy, while keeping all things neat and efficient.

Historically, I've kept my house at 69-70 degrees during winter months. Bundle up. With David who chills easy, this temperature has increased to 73 this winter. Small price for comfort and happiness. 

Suddenly, 73 degrees seems to be arctic temperatures, he is frozen, so I for the first time ever bump the thermostat to 75 degrees. I'm thinking dry heat nose bleeds. 

Happily ever after, life in the castle conversations ...

David:  "I cannot breathe it is so hot in here!"
Me: "What do you mean? You froze at 73 degrees so I gave you 75!" Said stuffy and unable to breathe.
David:  "I didn't ask you to turn it up."
Me:  "I did it days ago to ensure your comfort and so you'd stop complaining. 73 is too cold, 75 is too hot, you regulate the thermostat!"

David:  "How did you sleep last night?"
Me: [This is a trick question and segue to what he really wants to say.] "I slept fine. How did you sleep?"
David: "I didn't sleep at all, you snored all night and I was burning up!" 
Me:  "Probably because I cannot breathe in 75 degrees with the registers now open in the bedroom. You snore, too, but do I say that?!"

I'm not feeling like the goal, the exotic destination he looked forward to getting to every day. Our going on three years routine has shifted and I find I try to be creative to keep the normalcy the foundation that keeps us close.

Both of us being neat-nicks helps.

I smile when I think of my Mariah and Jeremy getting married in 2-1/2 months. He lives simple, neat and efficient. She is a hoarder, a tornado and fine stepping over things to get across a room. Their transition may perhaps be culture shock.

I welcome the shift.

I am willing to be flexible with slightly new routines.

I am ready for happily ever after, life in the castle normalcy.